Sometimes selecting gifts for family and friends can be very challenging. Everybody knows that birthdays and other holidays such as Christmas are the ideal time to spoil your loved ones with gifts, but you may not have the confidence to pick out a gift, particularly if you don’t know what they would want. Here are a few tips to help you make the right choice:
1. Listen to them – If you listen closely, people will often make mention of those things that they could use. These can either be needs or wants. Sometimes you may hear them complaining about something that is broken. Children in particular tend to speak over and over again about what they want. They may keep talking of a child who has the kind of toy they want and let you know how they would play with that toy among other things.
2. Consider sharing an event with them – Sometimes the best gift you can give someone is taking them to an event they would enjoy. This can be a concert, a movie, art show, the fair, and other such places. This should be something that you can do together so that you have an experience to look back on together.
3. Consider what they enjoy – One of the things you can do is put together a list of things that the recipient of your gift enjoys doing. For example, if the recipient is a child of about age 10, you should consider toys for 10 year olds, places that 10-year-olds would enjoy, and the like. Children of this age also love sports so you may opt to buy them equipment for the sport they play. They also tend to like pets and this is a great time to teach them responsibility by getting a pet for them to take care of.
4. Be sure to jot down your ideas – Whenever you come up with an idea, be sure to jot it down quickly lest you forget it later. Start doing this early enough so that you have a list to sift through when the time to make your purchase finally arrives. If the recipient purchases an item that was already on your list, be sure to cross it off to avoid purchasing something that he or she may no longer have need of.
5. Don’t purchase a cliché – If you are the kind of person who usually doesn’t think outside the box, you really need to do something about that. If you always give flowers and a box of chocolates to your friends and family for gifts, it is time to change that. Try to give gifts that are well thought out. Use your imagination and give a gift that your recipient will love. It works better if you are unpredictable such that the recipient is caught by surprise.
If you find yourself caught between a rock and a hard place, be sure to ask for help. It may be a good idea to consult with family and friends on the best gift to buy. Alternatively, you could ask the recipient what he or she is hoping to get.