Yoga is definitely something everyone can do. Even children can learn poses with just a few sessions and benefit from its advantages at a very early age. If you want to start learning how to do yoga, here’s a short and simple beginner’s guide to choosing the right kind for you and everything else you need to know to begin.
You know that you want to learn how to do yoga, but there are various styles of yoga with their own benefits. Here are some of them:
• Ashtanga yoga is also known as power yoga, and is more of a fast-paced and intense style of yoga. There is constant movement involved from one pose to the next.
• If you want to lose weight and learn how to do yoga, Bikram or hot yoga is your best bet. The yoga rooms are set to 95-100 degrees Fahrenheit and focuses on intensive sweating. The poses allow you to tone loose muscles as well as helping you to detoxify through sweating.
• Iyengar is another popular style, with many persons who want to learn how to do yoga. With this type of yoga, poses are held for a longer duration than usual, allowing the students to appreciate and learn more about the subtleties involved with each pose and focusing on the musculoskeletal system. Many kinds of props are involved for those who want to learn how to do yoga for the Iyengar style, such as blankets, belts, and blocks.
• Lastly, Vinaya is another popular style of yoga which involves more aggressive stretches. Its focus is on sun salutations as well as the connection of breadth and movement.
Once you have decided which kind of yoga you want to learn, you can start taking some classes and even alternate to suit your fitness and personal needs. If you want to learn how to do yoga, this can also be easily integrated into your existing fitness program.
You should also be aware that when studying how to do yoga, there are certain props involved that you should use even if you are not practicing regularly:
• Yoga mats are thin cushions with non-slip surfaces which are crucial when you are learning how to do yoga. They are inexpensive but also come in many varieties and you will surely be able to find one that suits your needs and your budget.
• Yoga blocks or bricks are also essential when studying how to do yoga. These are important in helping you stay in form even if you are still learning how to work with your strength and flexibility. You can use these to suit various types of yoga and can adhere to 3 height requirements, which is all you will need when learning how to do yoga.
• Yoga straps and belts are very helpful for beginners as this will provide an aid for those who are still less flexible. Simply hold a strap with both hands and this will be able to help you stay in a pose longer, and improve your overall form.
Neelima P, is an author and publisher of many health related websites. For more information on yoga, benefits of yoga, yoga exercises, yoga techniques and yoga postures, visit his website: Online Yoga Guide