If you’re anything like me, you want to be able to wear makeup trends without compromising your adult status. Holographic makeup is one of those trends that looks great on Instagram models, but you wonder if it could work for you in real life.
The key to keeping the look wearable is to pick one feature to showcase. The rest of your look should stay neutral so it doesn’t become overpowering.
Below are five ways to test drive the holographic trend confidently!
- Lipgloss: If you cringe at the thought of lipgloss, fear not! It has made a very cool and very grown-up come back. If you lean towards the natural, try a nude shade with reflective shimmer that will subtly highlight your pout. If bold is the name of your makeup game, try a gloss that provides iridescent shimmer while still feeling appropriate outside of a nightclub. Also, when the light hits your pout it makes your lips look fuller. Bonus! Try Milk Makeup’s Holographic Lipgloss in Mars. It’s stunning golden finish is just glossy enough, but still appropriate for daytime.
- Highlighter: Highlighters have become synonymous with achieving gorgeous cheekbones. Just a little dusting on the prominent points brings out the angles of your face in the best way. Take it up a notch with an opalescent formula. It will appear muted at first glance, but will shift beautifully as you move throughout the day. Try Naked Cosmetics Holographic Highlighter Collection. This palette is great because it’s buildable. It starts off sheer, but can be layered for a dramatic night time effect.
- Inner Eye: If eyes are the windows to the soul, then eyeshadow is a really fancy curtain. Or, something like that. Highlight the inner corners of your eye with a delicate holographic eyeshadow that will make the whites of your eyes brighter and intensify your eye color. If you have brown eyes, try a shadow with a pearlescent base for contrast. If your eyes are blue, look for a shade with flecks of copper or gold. If your eyes are green, try playing with a light lavender shimmer. Try the Kat Von D Alchemist Holographic Palette. Four varying shades can be used on eyes, lips, or cheeks. They can be used for a subtle wash of color or gain intensity with a couple applications.Try Almay Shadow Squad Eyeshadow Holographic. It comes in shades best suited to your coloring.
- Brow Bone: For a pop of color that frames your eye, try sweeping a prismatic shadow directly under the brow. When the light catches, your eye shape will be the focal point of your face. Try Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter & Glow Liquid Eye Shadow. Use the doe foot to dot a wash of shimmer in your inner corners.
- Nails: If futuristic makeup feels a little too out there for you, try the trend on your nails. It’s still show stopping, but in a more subtle way. Try Essie Nail Polish in Blue-tiful Horizon. It has flecks of a gorgeous pink dusting mixed with a warm sky blue. Absolutely gorgeous!