Every year you might promise yourself that this is the year that you will achieve your dream of getting fit and healthy. As well as improving your stamina, and strengthening your cardio-vascular system, you might choose to try and increase your overall strength during your workouts too. This can be achieved in a variety of ways and this article provides three tips to help you on your way.
Top Tip #1 – Undertake Primary Strength Building Exercises
First of all there are a selection of exercises that you can do to help to increase your strength levels. The first exercise is the squat or front squat which helps to build leg strength. The second exercise is the bench press which helps to increase arm strength and strength in the upper torso. Other primary strength building exercises include push presses and deadlifts. All of these exercises work on natural strength movements of horizontal and vertical pushes and pulls.
- Squats help to build leg strength whilst weights cause resistance
Top Tip #2 – Use Weights
The second top tip for increasing your strength during a workout is to use weights. There are a wide range of weights available but here are a few of the most popular for ladies to use:
- Kettlebells – Kettlebells are essentially weights with handles attached and have been designed to be used at speed instead of as actual lifting weights. By holding the weights in your hands and swinging your arms, the weight of the kettlebells appears to increase. Kettlebells come in a range of different weights and ideally you should aim to the use the heaviest you can lift and increase the weight as your strength does. These weights are ideal for increasing both your arm and upper torso strength.
- Dumbbells – dumbbells are probably one of the most commonly used weights by women and come in a range of different sizes and weights. They are designed to work your muscles against resistance and can help to keep muscles toned with just three twenty minute sessions a week.
- Dumbbells are one of the most commonly used weights for increasing strength
- Wrist Weights – wrist weights work in a similar way to dumbbells by providing resistance for your muscles. However instead of being hand-held, wrist weights usually have Velcro straps to allow you to attach the weights around your wrists, keeping your hands free during your workout.
- Ankle Weights – ankle weights work the same as wrist weights but instead of attaching around your wrists, they go around your ankles and help to increase the strength of leg muscles.
If you want to buy some weights or other fitness equipment for use at home visit Reebok Fitness.
Top Tip #3 – Stay Motivated
The final tip for building strength during your workout is to stay motivated. In order to build your strength, you need to ensure that you stick to a healthy diet full of protein. Eating too little or too much junk food will greatly hinder your strength building ability.
You also need to stay motivated in terms of the number and length of your workout times. For toning and maintaining muscle strength, you need to undertake at least twenty minutes of training, three times a week. If you are looking to significantly increase your strength during workouts, then more sessions are required. Shortening or skipping workouts will also hinder your strength building ability
By following these simple yet effective tips, you should be able to increase your strength during your workouts with ease.