I have a confession to make: I didn’t think it could happen but I haven’t been practicing yoga for over a month now. I thought I had done everything to ensure that I would always go to yoga. I had a yoga mat at home so I could practice on my own when I couldn’t make a class. I have a pre-paid membership for a whole year so that’t not what has kept me away. I have more than enough cute yoga clothes. So what happened? Where did I go wrong?
1. I went on a holiday to Vietnam for over a week.
2. Followed up by a business trip to Germany for another week.
3. When I got back home, my favorite yoga teacher had changed studios and his replacement happened to be a teacher I particularly cannot stand. I actually get angry after taking a yoga class with him.
4. I started my job full-time and our office moved to an area of the city a little further away than before.
5. And there are no yoga studios in the new area my office is in.
And now here I am. A month later with no yoga.
I feel crappy. I miss the endorphins and the energy high I get from a vigorous yoga class. I miss feeling like I’m getting stronger, more flexible, that I’m improving myself by challenging myself. I miss the 10 minutes of meditation and those few hours each day that were just. For. Me. I miss feeling active and I miss feeling energized and clear-headed. And I miss seeing my yoga friends.
Yoga gave me time to think things through. If I felt insecure about my relationship, I had that time to calm my thoughts, think everything through. When I was stressed about a problem at work, I had that hour to sweat it out, to get de-stressed. Now, I go for walks during my lunch break. I listen to music at my desk and stare at my screen trying to focus my mind. But it’s not the same.
My suggestion? Don’t stop. Just go to class. If you can’t get to class, roll out your mat and stretch. Everyday. Find a YouTube video you like or put together a deck of poses. Download an app. Make time for yourself. I know, it’s easier said than done.
I’m still figuring out how to get back to that.